7 Tips For Escaping The Rat Race
I was talking with a lady at market on the weekend who said she was in a mid-life crisis and not happy what’s she’s doing and is looking at what else is possible.
To her I looked to have achieved the great escape and to have got where I’m going to.
Well I have escaped the rat race and I am enjoying the freedom of it but I am still working solidly on my financial freedom.
I made my move from the corporate world to my own business progressively while I still had the financial security of my regular income.
So I thought I’d share 7 tips on how you can startup and setup your own business:
1. make a list of things you enjoy and that interest you. >From this list pick one or two things that you would want to get involved with.
2. research others who are doing businesses in the field you are interested in and see how they are doing things. This will give you ideas and show you ways of doing things – it will also give you ideas how to do things better.
3. be ready to work on this project as well as doing your normal work and home life – this means finding extra time like when you are travelling to work. If you drive what tapes can you listen to? If you go by train or bus what books and materials can you read? Can you work on a laptop on the train?
4. structuring your time to do preparation, research and work over a 6 – 12 month period will give you a good chance to get into new habits that let you build your escape.
5. spend time on research as it is the most valuable thing you can do in preparation.
6. Work out a business plan as that will let you get all those jumbled ideas out of your head and bring clarity and sense to them. A business plan will probably be daunting but it is the doing that matters and brings the results.
7. Give yourself enough time to build something so it has a chance of being successful. It is not an over night thing, it takes time and consistent effort. So do things step by step and make it so it can happen, don’t put too much on your plate or to do list.
So give it a go. Figure out what you want and have faith that you can learn how to make it happen as you go.
I have learnt so much in the last 6 years. I am a different woman now, I have different expectations and different views – I can see the big picture much easier. All this I have learnt by doing things step by step.
You can too. Take it step by step and keep doing and learning.