Top 10 Tips To PR Success
by Sue Currie of Shine Communications Consultancy
1. Gain the appropriate skills and knowledge to become an expert in your field. Become a qualified member of your industry’s association as this will give you credibility when the media choose to profile you.
2. Be clear on what your message is, know what you want to say. Understand that you need to have a point of difference or something interesting to say and that you need to get that across in an entertaining and informative way.
3. You need to have an audience to listen to your message. Do some research on your ideal customer, perhaps a survey. Look at whom your competitors are talking to.
4. Reach out to your target audience through the media. Research the most appropriate magazines, newspapers or TV shows for your story. Build a database of media contacts or buy a media directory. Links to media directories can be found by clicking here.
5. Approach the media. Send out a well-written media release, follow up with phone calls. Submit articles to magazines. Follow up again. Be consistent with your media liaison.
6. Send out a professional and creative photograph with your release or ring the media outlet and suggest a photo opportunity.
7. Be persistant. Keep on submitting media releases and articles, but learn to take no for an answer. You need to build good working relationships with journalists.
8. Be prepared for media interviews. Prepare beforehand possible questions and rehearse the answers. Prepare a few points you want to get across and stay on track. Click here to read more about media interviews.
9. Build up a portfolio of information about you to include on your website or for meetings with journalists and build a media kit.
10. Consolidate your expertise by publishing books, CD’s and DVD’s and reap the rewards of successful public relations.
“Becoming a star may not be your destiny, but being the best you can be is a goal that you can set for yourself.” Bryan Lindsay
Finding Out More About PR
I know Sue through a networking group and she is one of the impressive women you get to meet in life. So I will claim a personal bias about Sue and her work. I think the above 10 tips testify to Sue’s abilities – good, solid information being shared in her newsletter.
So, for furthur information…
Shine Communications Consultancy
T: 61 2 9555 6952